Categories
News

Peer Interview Essay

I had interviewed Jay Naqvi (an alias to protect their identity) who is belonging to the LGBT+ community she had joined this community fairly recently just around 2 months ago. Jay goes by the pronouns of she/her with this paper referring her as such. This interview was done October the 6th 2021 done over the phone. Jay’s community while very large in numbers is still very much consider a marginalized community all of the world the LGBT demographics of America itself is ranging around 5%.Therefore, while the LGBT community has a big impact in the world to even changing the views of science as we know it, the community is very small. Like in most communities there are always a small minority who manage to be very vocal and almost speaks for the community even if not everyone agrees with it. This could cause various problems as it could paint the LGBT community in a bad light even if it not something everyone agrees on. Jay’s thoughts on this possible threat are that it’s somewhat normal already an example of this would be how white people would speak over minorities and people being generally bigots however the community doesn’t seem todo much and the community doesn’t seem fazed in the slightest. This could be due to the fact that once this minority is found out about, they are slowly separated from the community like black sheep. However, a community doesn’t just have one interest, just like a city community in of themselves have people with different backgrounds and beliefs that includes people with different interests however there’s always a chance for there to be an overlap especially with a community with the sheer size as this one. When asking Jay’s opinion if any other interests are shared in the community, she was somewhat confused due to how new she was in the LGBT community when changing the question, a bit to if the LGBT community interacts with any others that stand out in her experience. Once that was said her response quickly changed with how slight the question had changed as she said it herself its due to how this is nearly the reason, she joined the community. As a revelation to me the interview Jay had stated that the K-pop community is one of the communities she sees getting the most communication with the LGBT community. In my theory this could be because the K-pop community and the LGBT community are debatably the same size however insanely vocal and with much power, while the K-pop has not changed the views of world in of itself online the community especially on twitter seems to gravitate to anything as long as it is to promote their favorite artists regardless of the topic. The nature of the K-pop community or at least its vocal minority will have them interact with anyone this could bring many communities many members as well as put communities into the mainstream. I asked then after a very important question soon after that are usually forgotten to many

people, of course with Jay’s permission, I asked the question of if Jay consider herself as an ally ofthe LGBT community or was, she in herself part of the four letters the LGBT communitysymbolizes. She confirmed herself to be a lesbian even if newly realizing it a few months in thepast. The community gladly letting anyone in is one of the greatest aspects that shines throughwhat may be any drama from within. Jay herself notes that as the community from withinadvocates for each other and the pure amount of vocabulary used in the community is an aspectthat is quickly picked up inside the community. As an outsider people can see various differentvocabulary thrown around even if just in short bursts. This in general is insanely important,together as a community it helps people grow one by one picking up anyone and enlighten themto learn more.While I myself never was part of the LGBT community directly and only as an outsider. Jaywas very patient on the phone during the interview teaching me more about such a large andimportant community. Due to how I was raised in a mostly Catholic family I haven’t experiencedmuch one to one contact with someone in the community. While we both agree the communityis marginalized there’s also a sense of the community being mainstream in the coming years.While I was under the impression the LGBT community was friendly all around, I was surprisedthat the community still experienced basic negativities that most communities experience as well.Their system of separating people from the community is also impressive due to how myperception was completely changed with what Jay had said